The 5th annual Prestige Agri-Awards recently took place at Leopard’s Leap Family Vineyards, where the winners for the sought after titles were announced. The initiative, previously known as the Farmworker of the Year competition, honours excellence in the province’s agricultural sector. In doing so the competition is able to acknowledge farmworkers, who make a significant contribution to our country’s economy, for their hard work.
The competition is co-sponsored by the Western Cape Department of Agriculture and the Shoprite Group, with the latter being involved with the initiative for the past seven years.
A winner, runner-up and second runner-up were selected in each of the eight categories. The winners in the respective categories are as follows:
· General Worker: Elizabeth Gertse (Anthonij Rupert Wyne)
· Tractor Driver: Isak Buys (Mont Rochelle)
· Irrigation Specialist: Keenan Carstens (Boschendal)
· Technical Operator: Vusumzi Cekiso (Leeu Estates)
· Animal Production: Ralph Valentine (Boschendal)
· Foreman: Stoffel Van Rooy (Leeu Estates)
· Junior Management: Cornel Paulse (Glenwood)
· Middle Management: Christie Davids (Anthonij Rupert Wyne)
A special award was presented to Danie Cupido of Mont Rochelle, who received the Agri Worker with the Best Potential for 2018 award.
From here on the winners in each category, as well as the regional winners, go through to the provincial adjudication, after which the 2018 Western Cape Prestige Agri Worker Winners will be announced at a gala event on 3 November at Nederburg Wine Estate.
Text: Editorial Desk | Image: Supplied